JCO among 3 soldiers killed in suicide attack on J&K Army camp


JAMMU:A junior commissioned officer was among three soldiers killed foiling a suspected fidayeen attack on an Army camp in Rajouri district of J&K early Thursday. Two of the attackers were shot and killed in the four-hour gunfight that also left three soldiers critically wounded, officials said. It wasn’t immediately clear how many terrorists were involved in the infiltration attempt.
The suicide mission targeting security forces was the second one in Jammu division in less than four months. On April 22, the proscribed Jaish-e-Mohammed had mounted a similar attack on a CISF post near the Sunjawan Army camp, resulting in a gunfight in which an assistant sub-inspector of the paramilitary force and two of the terrorists were killed.
Two AK series rifles, ammunition, nine magazines and a grenade were found on the slain attackers.
Additional DGP (Jammu zone) Mukesh Singh said the terrorists involved in Thursday’s attack were close to infiltrating the Parghal Army camp under the cover of darkness when the sentries spotted them and raised the alarm. “On being challenged, two terrorists hurled grenades at the sentries and tried to scale the fence. In the gunbattle that followed, both terrorists were shot dead.”
Subedar Rajendra Prasad, a native of Rajasthan’s Jhunjhunu, was killed in action along with Rifleman Manoj Kumar of Faridabad in Haryana and Rifleman Lakshmanan D, who was from Tamil Nadu’s Madurai. They were part of a unit called White Knight Corps. “The Indian Army salutes these bravehearts for their supreme sacrifice in the line of duty. The nation will always remain indebted to them for their devotion to duty,” Jammu-based defence PRO Lt Col Devender Anand said.
ADGP Singh said reinforcements had been sent to the Army camp, located around 6km from Darhal police station, for a combing operation that was underway till late in the night. “We have intelligence inputs on movement of terrorists across the Rajouri sector.”
Lieutenant governor Manoj Sinha was among the first to condemn the suspected suicide attack on the Army camp that resulted in three personnel being killed. “Heartfelt condolences to the families of the bravehearts…We shall deal with evil designs of (militants) and their backers in a befitting manner,” his office tweeted.
National Conference president and former CM Omar Abdullah, too, tweeted his condemnation of the attack and a condolence message to the families of the slain soldiers.





Source link